Solo harp & voice concert sponsored by Westchester Public Library. Admission free. Classic film ("E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial ") follows concert. Due to the extreme heat, the concert has been moved to the Baugher Center (100 W Indiana Ave, Chesterton IN 46304).
Make Mine a Double Book
Make Mine a Double: A Beginning Method for Double-Strung Harp
by Cynthia Shelhart
**SOLD OUT! - 2019 EDITION COMING THIS SPRING!**
The updated version of this best-selling method book for double-strung harp is coming soon! We have SOLD OUT of the current print edition, but the new edition (print and PDF) will ship this spring. In the meantime, the current PDF version is still available. Join the mailing list (at right) and be the first to get notified when the new edition is available. It won't be long before this classic lands on your doorstep!
The contemporary double-strung harp has fascinated harp players and listeners since its inception in 1989. The instrument’s ability to overlap melody and harmony in the same range, as well as its characteristic “echo” effect, makes it a natural outlet for musical creativity. Some harpers and harpists have learned its secrets through instinct and experimentation—but many potential players still ask: “How do you play that thing?”
Make Mine a Double is the first beginning-level method available for contemporary double-strung harp. In this book, Cynthia Shelhart, a double-strung harp specialist since 1992, identifies the musical techniques you need to play this unique instrument. Make Mine a Double provides exercises, etudes, arrangements and resources for your journey to double-strung enjoyment and success.
- 66 exercises and etudes to support each area of technique, for large and small double-strung harps.
- 15 additional arrangements for double-strung harps, playable on both large and small instruments.
- Background information to answer questions frequently asked by double-strung harp players.
- A resource guide to double-strung harp builders, performers and publications.
- 81 full-length recordings of the musical selections from this book are now available below as a no-cost download (click on "Download MMD Companion MP3s" to download). *NOTE: The download is a .zip file, containing all 81 recordings in .MP3 format. Effective June 11, 2018, this download replaces the CD mentioned in the book text. Previous MMD book purchasers may download the MP3s at no cost. The MP3 download is now included with all new MMD book purchases, at no additional cost.*
158 pages; spiral-bound book. PDF digital version available separately.
Greetings! I'm a harpist & singer living in Chesterton, Indiana. Read more
Valparaiso Holly Days
Cindy performs holiday harp music at Sheep's Clothing during Valparaiso Holly Days.
Kleppe Wedding (private event)
Sand Creek Country Club, Chesterton IN
Moore Wedding (private event)
Chateau Banquets, Merrillville IN
Housing Opportunities Gala (private event)
Blue Chip Casino, Michigan City IN
Fields Wedding (private event)
Aberdeen Manor Ballroom & Event Center, Valparaiso IN
Solo harp & voice concert sponsored by Westchester Public Library. Admission free. Family-friendly film ("Paddington 2") follows concert. Inclement weather location: Baugher Center (100 W Indiana Ave, Chesterton IN 46304).
University of Chicago Early Music Ensemble
As a member of the Early Music Ensemble, Cynthia sings and plays continuo on this early music bouquet from France featuring pieces by Mouton, Sermisy, Arcadelt, Janequin, and others for voices, viols, guitar, harpsichord, and winds. Admission free.
Kristevski Wedding (private event)
Aberdeen Manor, Valparaiso IN
U of C Early Music Ensemble Tea Time Concert
Cynthia sings soprano with the University of Chicago Early Music Ensemble. Concert is free and open to the public, in Fulton Recital Hall (fourth floor of Goodspeed Hall). Complimentary tea and cookies are served in the Fulton Hall lobby at 4:15pm and the concert begins promptly at 4:30pm.
Benedict Wedding (private event)
Aberdeen Manor, Valparaiso IN